Sunday, February 21, 2010

So happy together

Every time someone asks how long I've been married, and I tell them, I get an astonished look. 39 years? How is that possible? Am I happy?

Well, duh! If I wasn't happy I wouldn't be where I am. I'm not one to spend my life being miserable.

And 39 years doesn't seem like much to me. I still get giddy when my honey walks in the door:)

People always ask "what's the secret?" I didn't know there was one! What makes it work? Two people who want it to. That's it in a nutshell.

Of course, it helps to be mated to someone who holds to the same views - that marriage is a partnership of choice. Two people who choose to share lives. Not control, manage or dictate, but share. There is no ownership in marriage. That piece of paper is pretty meaningless (aside from certain tax benefits).

The real committment comes from us and the choice we make that "this is the person I want to share my life with".

And yes, it helps to have a mate who accepts you for who you are - warts and all, and doesn't see you as an extension of himself. I'm not honey's wife, or child's mother. I'm just me and he's fine with that. *Even if he does think I'm a little off-center in some respects:)

Still, it all boils down to choice and what we want. Anyone who wants to make a marriage work can do it. You just have to give it attention and care.

So, from a 39-year-newlywed, I say marriage is a wonderful place to live:) And with that thought, I'm gonna go hang out with honeyman and see what kind of adventure we can have on this fine day.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment